Our History

   Trinity Lutheran Church was organized August 1st, 1883 by twelve charter members. It was incorporated in 1884. Services were held in a log church and in 1905 the log church was taken down. The Corner Stone was laid in 1905. 
  St. John’s Lutheran Church originally started with twelve families that met in Marion in the old skating rink building. The congregation grew so rapidly that a church was built in 1886.
  In 1927, it was built at 318 East Garfield Avenue in Marion and was dedicated in 1928. The church was 54′ x 102′ with a German Gothic architecture at a cost of approximately $70,000. The Reuter pipe organ was purchased by the Ladies AId for a cost of $5,390 plus freight of $132. The stained glass windows were gifts to the congregation by its members. The Ladies Aid also purchased the stained glass window in the balcony for a cost of approximately $6,000.
  In 1947 Trinity Lutheran Church merged with St. John’s Lutheran Church. Since Trinity merged with St. John’s in 1947, its cemetary has become the church’s cemetary. 
   In 1959, a Parish Hall was added, and classrooms were remodeled in the basement of the church. The Parish Hall was dedicated in 1960.
   The church was made handicap accessible in 1999 with the addtion of an elevator. The addition of the Great Room and East Wing were also a part of that project. 
   A Sanctuary remodel occurred in 2018.